Dr Annalisa Contos
PhD, BE (Chem), RABQSA WQS Auditor, Cert VI Training & Assessment, Public Participation Cert (IAP2)
Public Works & Services
The University of Sydney
The Environmental Group
Annalisa has over 20 year’s experience in the water sector, specialising in integrated water cycle management and risk assessment. She has a chemical engineering degree with a doctorate in aquatic chemistry, both from Sydney University. She is a chartered professional engineer in the Chemical and Environmental Colleges, has a Certificate in Public Participation from the International Association of Public Participation and is an Honorary Associate at the University of Sydney.
Annalisa specialises in providing technical services including technical facilitation and summary reporting to government agencies, water utilities and private companies. She has worked on a broad range of infrastructure projects from water treatment plants for communities of 300 to the deep water pumping stations for the Sydney Catchment Authority. She is highly regarded for her skills in workshop facilitation, from community consultation to multi-disciplinary technical workshops including strategic planning workshops, project planning workshops, catchment risk assessments, project HAZOPs and CHAIRs and drinking and recycled water quality risk assessments. Annalisa has received numerous awards for industry service and technical excellence, and is the 2012 recipient of the Uhde Shedden Medal which recognises practical services to the profession and to the practice of chemical engineering in Australia & New Zealand.
Skills and Experience
- A leading technical facilitator in the water industry highly regarded for her skills in ensuring technical communication amongst participants. Highly skilled in utilising a broad range of participatory techniques to ensure maximum engagement.
- Demonstrated ability to design and delivery custom facilitated workshops.
- Experienced facilitator during the design phase of projects including facilitation of concept and detailed design HAZOP and CHAIR workshops.
Stakeholder and Community Engagement
- Demonstrated community engagement skills including Brewarrina Water First Strategy Consultation, community consultation as part of the ‘Living Murray’ program and Kangaroo Valley Fluoridation.
- Demonstrated stakeholder engagement through facilitation of the Metropolitan Water Directorate’s Urban Water Recycling Review, WIC Act Stakeholder Engagement for IPART and NSW Office of Water’s stakeholder engagement program for the Guidance for the Development of Recycled Water Management Systems.
- Experienced facilitation for drinking and recycled water quality risk assessment both during design and operation. Has facilitated water quality risk assessments for over 50 systems for drinking and recycled water systems.
- Experienced in ERM risk assessments having undertaken them across IPART’s functional areas.
Policy Development and Advocacy
- Excellent understanding of the local water utility regulatory environment demonstrated through multiple engagements by the Water Directorate to assist in the preparation of advocacy submissions and local government for understanding and developing policy positions.
- Understanding of the multi-jurisdictional regulatory environment of recycled water within Australia shown through engagements by the Australian Centre of Water Recycling Excellence.
- Exemplar Global qualified Drinking Water and Recycled Water auditor having conducted statutory licence audits for SCA, Coliban Water, Sydney Water and Hunter Water.
- Extensive experience in the NSW regional water, sewage and recycled water fields, having conducted site visits at over 40 NSW regional WTP and 25 NSW regional STPs.
- Demonstrated skills in the technical review of water, STP and recycled water designs against design objectives and for operability and maintainability.
- Experienced peer reviewer across the water cycle including technical review of baseline reports for Warragamba Environmental Flows for the Office of the Hawkesbury Nepean, technical review and development of OEMPs for Bega Valley Shire Council.
- Author of state guidance for the preparation of Drinking Water Management Systems (NSW Health) and Recycled Water Management Systems (NSW Office of Water).